Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Creative Tennis Workouts

Off Court Tennis Conditioning

Have you ever been playing a point and said--I could of got that shot if I were down just a little lower, if i stayed with the shot a little longer, if I had just a little more breath, if I had a little more spin, if I had a little better timing, if I were a little less nervous, if I was a little stronger, etc. I constantly search for ways to win when I compete. Training has never been a favorite ritual for me. I'm talking about the off court stuff. This summer I've tried something new.........I call it self training. What is that Kev?

It starts with a realistic evaluation of your own strengths and weakness in all areas of your game. For example: your ground strokes, volleys, overheads, serve, speed, endurance, etc. Then decide to improve your weapon a little and reduce your biggest weakness.....even if just a little....you design your own program.

I know I need work on fitness, and i don't like gyms so I decide to "Rocky" it.
My son was cutting down a birch that was too close to the house and he fashioned a neat long slightly heavy bat club out of it. I take this thing a swing it.....kind of fun, a cross between "Walking Tall" and "Cast-Away." I dribble a soccer ball while holding this thing....bat stones with it.....and swing two handed shots with it........do curls...presses.............shrugs...My dog, Cassi has her head tilted to the side as she watches me do this routine........I then ride my bike with her by my side..........come back to the yard..........do a few push-ups............a few hundred jump ropes........... and then grab a baseball bat and practice serve and volley movements, with over-heads....then a few knees bends with a medicine ball...which I then explode up and throw up in the air........I would have used a small boulder if there was one around. A couple of quick sprints with the dog and I'm finished............This was all after a 45 minute hitting session which I will share with you soon.

There it is. This to me was a terrific conditioner for tennis....It addresses my weaknesses and my strengths......serve and volley movements.......I did something.
In the fall maybe I'll swing the rake like a big long racquet.....I don't know yet.
I admit that I do have a basic understanding regarding cardio, strength, flexibility,
speed, and of course--tennis. So if you do something like this make sure you keep good core posture, form and breathing. Don't try to lift a car just yet......but do have a little fun......Why can't conditioning be fun? Put on the Rocky theme, you'll be on top of the world.

Your pro in the trenches,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I value thoughtful ideas.