1. As server tosses ball in the air take a forward or diagonally forward leap.
2. As the server hits the ball, you get a read as to where its going.
3. If it's going right touch your left foot on the ground to create a step out with the right foot. Use the opposite footwork to move left.
4. There is a compacted backswing, with little dip below the ball, as you need more time in front of pace!
5. Then, extend out through the ball with a more guided extension, and slow smooth swing, with a full finish.
6. This type of returning gives you the best chance of hitting consistent deep returns.